The three-nave hall church, built in the Lower Rhine brick Gothic style, was founded in 1288, the year the town was raised. Its current appearance is the result of a fire in 1815, which destroyed the spire. When it was rebuilt, the wood used was probably too fresh and damp, causing the roof to twist. According to legend, however, the devil twisted the church tower when he tried to tear the church down. The new west portal from the 1950s is the work of sculptor Ewald Mataré.
St. Lambertus was given the honourable title of "Basikila minor" in July 1974.